To rest correctly during the night hours is undoubtedly the basis of the psycho-physical well-being necessary to be able to face the new day serenely and forcefully. Sometimes, however, this is not always possible due to apparently external causes that make our rest difficult. The reasons can be among the most varied: from insomnia to noises at home and outside that do not allow us to sleep properly, making us count our night among those “white” passed. Another of the somewhat famous causes that could decree the end of our peaceful sleep is represented by the onset of painful and unhappy nocturnal cramps.
It’s also happened to you to wake up in the middle of the night in the grip of a cramp in the calf that not only ruins your rest will also cause unbearable trouble? Probably, at least once you have also experienced this sad experience. But what happens when suddenly an evil night cramp comes, putting an end to our peaceful sleep? When the muscles of our legs contract when we turn under the covers or stretch involuntarily, they can result in cramps. When this happens, the pain will be so strong that it will wake us up and even after trying to alleviate the great suffering in some way, it could also happen to be victims again during the same night. Following at this article musikji the onset of nocturnal cramps, moreover.
But how do you prevent night cramps from ruining our nights? It is precisely this that we will try to take care of during this new guide, giving you some useful tips to block and avoid annoying cramps.
- When we wake up in the grip of pain caused by a nighttime cramp, the first thing to do is to stay calm. Initially, we will be so dazed by sleep that we will struggle to understand the nature of pain. Our first advice, therefore, is to stand in front of a wall, at a distance of about a meter, a meter and a half, keeping the legs straight and the flat heels and bending towards the wall facing us, staying in this position for about ten seconds and repeat the operation several times. Do some calf massage, trying to massage it exactly from the base upwards. Besides, if you usually run into painful night cramps, then you should do some similar massage even before putting yourself under the covers. This will help you avoid their appearance in the middle of the night.
- In the winter months, try not to put too many blankets; sometimes, just the pressure caused by their heaviness could be the primary reason for cramping. Choose, instead of the heavy wool blankets, comfortable and lighter duvets, which will still be able to warm up during the coldest nights of the year.
- Choose electric blankets: these, keeping the heat warm, will also warm up your muscles.
- Avoid wearing tight-fitting pajamas instead, choose comfortable clothing to go to bed.
- Even the position you take when you are in bed may cause cramps to develop; so avoid sleeping on your stomach, but rather try to sleep on your side with your knees bent, and maybe a pillow between them.
- If the cramps persist, talk to your doctor; probably your diet will require calcium boost.