There are many graduates who choose to change cities to continue their university studies. But the same thing can happen to those who decide to move elsewhere for work, perhaps for a limited period. One of the first things to do in these cases, if you do not change your residence, is to find a new general practitioner even if temporary.
So if you have just moved, you do not have to wait for the first fever to remind you that you are entitled to assistance. Precisely because the health is guaranteed throughout Italy by Article 32 of the Constitution, going to live elsewhere for long periods, for example from three months to a year as required by law, retain the right to have a general practitioner with the obligation to cure you. Remember, however, that the new doctor must be confirmed or changed every year but only because you are not resident, otherwise it would remain tacitly the same always unless you want it more.
How to choose then the new medical base?
- The first thing to do is to look for the ASL closest to your address, that is, one of the Local Health Company offices that takes care of guaranteeing assistance in the territory where you have just moved.
- Remember, when you have chosen the location, to bring the necessary documents to activate the procedure: the identity card and in particular the health card, which you should always keep with you, since it is also valid as a document of recognition, in case you be rushed to the hospital.
- Once you arrive at the ASL, you will go to the “Choice and Revocation” office where, after respecting the waiting shift and generally they are not long if you go early in the morning before 8.00, you will be supported by the shift attendant will follow in the IT procedure of choice of the doctor.
- Make sure of your identity thanks to the two documents that you have brought, you can choose the general practitioner from a list of professionals, grouped according to the different areas in which the municipality where you live is divided.
- The doctor’s decision can be made based on your resume, which is still provided on request by the ASL or based on the distance from your clinic from your new home.
- Once the choice has been defined, you will fill in a form in which you must indicate the personal data. Once all the documents have been delivered, you will officially have a general practitioner for a year and receive a sheet on which your name will be printed, the indications of the reception hours and the address of your clinic.
You just have to choose one day between those in which the doctor is available and go and introduce you.